What are the general regulatory procedures (cultivation to sale)?

What are the general regulatory procedures (cultivation to sale)?

To engage in the cultivation and sale of cannabis, an interested party must first apply for, pay for, and obtain the appropriate license. Licensing fees vary depending on the size of the business. The general laws and requirements are set out in the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA), and state and local regulatory authorities set specific regulations. Some local authorities simply follow the state rules, while others ban the sale of marijuana entirely. You must acquire a local city/county license before applying for a state license. Licensing procedures for the City of Los Angeles are discussed below.

To become licensed, applicants will have to undergo a criminal background check and will have to comply with zoning restrictions. Businesses will have to comply with all other state and local regulations, which may limit the type of cultivation or retail activity available. The type of state license restricts the amount of cannabis you may grow by area and the procedures for cultivating cannabis (whether indoor or outdoor, type of lighting, type of pesticides available, etc.).

Adults over age 21 may possess up to 28.5 grams of recreational-use cannabis plant, or 8 grams of concentrated cannabis.  The same applies to purchase or sale:  You may sell up to 28.5 (or 8) grams of cannabis to an adult aged 21 years or older with a valid ID in a single purchase.

California law restricts the types of advertisements that may be made for cannabis products in order to restrict ads from reaching minors.  For example, cannabis marketers may not depict images of anyone under 21 using marijuana in an advertisement or market their product on any app, website, etc. that is directed to minors.

California is also working on regulations that set requirements for warnings, disclaimers, ingredients, etc., for cannabis product labeling and packing.  The state is also developing regulations for testing products for contaminants and other safety measures.

Return to FAQs

Speak With Our
Attorneys Today!

Get a quote